Nora church is not to be missed when in town. But around in the town there are several church buildings and milieus to visit. They are all unique and represent different styles of architecture and time periods.
In central Nora is a cohesive church milieu which, in addition to the church, comprises a bell tower, a minister’s yard, a vicar’s residence and a church hall. The buildings represent three centuries, from the 1700s to the 1990s. All the buildings are protected as architectural monuments.
Though Nora church was erected in 1878-80, an older church was demolished which is said to have been built in the 1400s. It is believed that Nora Church is the third church on the same site. Nora Church is a neo-roman basilica designed by P. Andersson, Örebro. The tower walls partially remain from an earlier church. The interior was decorated in the 1930s, the ceiling paintings and glass windows by Einar Forseth and the frescoes by Ragnhild Nordensten. When the church was most recently renovated it was decorated in spring green, rusty red and gold. The altarpiece, the baptismal font and a couple of epitaphs are from the 1600s. The church is open to visitors 09.00- 17.00 daily all year.
The Church Hall is on Kungsgatan close to the church. It was built in 1997 in contemporary architecture according to plans by the architects Tina Wiik and Ingrid Reppen. The building has attracted a lot of attention for its design. As an example of an exemplary design of a new building in a historic milieu, Nora Church Hall was awarded the Europa Nostra-prize 2002. When it received building monument status in 2005, it was the youngest to do so in Sweden.
Prästgård/Vicar’s residence. The manor was originally constructed in 1738 but got its new look with the extensive rebuilding of 1828. The wings are the oldest sections of the manor, and the oldest parts of them were probably built during 1600s or 1700s. According to information, it survived the city fire of 1731.
Komministerbostad. The Commissioner’s Residence was originally erected in 1813 and acquired its current appearance during the reconstruction of 1916.
Klockargård. The Bell Tower was built in 1897-98 and is externally very well-preserved. The building originally included service housing for the bell ringer/church musician, parish library and meeting rooms for the church and school councils as well as the poor welfare board.
Järnboås Church was built 1658-59, wood-chip clad and painted red, but got its current appearance with light painted smooth panels giving the impression of being plastered, in 1795. The same year cross arms were added, which is typical of churches in Bergslagen. The ceiling painting is from 1745. The magnificent altarpiece and pulpit were painted in 1764 and the unusual baptismal font is from 1767.
Vikers neo-gothic church was built 1869-71 and designed by P Andersson, Örebro. It is whitewashed and built of slag-stone. The original interior has been altered by renovation in the 30s and 50s. The pulpit, the alter, the alter ring, the psalm number boards, the lectern and the organ façade are contemporary with the church, but the paint colour has changed. The churchyard has the largest combined area in Örebro County with the older types of graves, bordered with stone friezes filled with gravel and separated from each other by gravel paths.
A small church in Nora Bergs parish. In 1892 in Greksåsar a wooden chapel was built and painted in the traditional red colour from Falu. It was renovated in 1958. It belongs to Nora Bergs Parish but is open for different communities.